The club was started in 1929 and has not hosted polo since the mid-1970’s. It has been used over the years for a variety of equestrian competitions, most notably the Children’s Services Horse Show, run by a former owner and trainer, Hugh Kerrigan. As of 2017, we are re-launching polo here at Farmington Polo Club!
History of Polo: Timeline
- 600 B.C. ⇢ First record of polo (Persia and China)
- 1859 ⇢ Silchar Polo Club becomes the first polo club, founded by British officers stations in India
- 1876 ⇢ Westchester Polo Club becomes the first polo club in the U.S.
- 1888 ⇢ The handicap system is created in the U.S.
- 1890 ⇢ The United States Polo Association is created.
- 1900-1939 ⇢ Polo is played in the Olympics
- 1904 ⇢ First U.S. Open is played
- 1915 ⇢ The Indoor Polo Association is created
- 1940s ⇢ Polo starts to grow in the American west, Texas in particular
- 1973 ⇢ The first women are assigned handicaps
- 1982 ⇢ The Federation of International Polo is created to assist in bringing polo back to the Olympics
- 1994 ⇢ Certification of professional umpires is brought to polo
- 2014 ⇢ Introduction of women’s handicaps for the development of women’s polo
- 2016 ⇢ A set of international rules is created to maintain a level playing field for high-goal polo.